As the years go by, it seems like most food and pill containers have become more and more difficult to open. That can be a big problem if you have Arthritis.
- Twist-off plastic caps on bottles of milk and soda have to be opened with pliers.
- Plastic bags inside cereal boxes have to be cut open with scissors.
- “Convenient” pull-tabs on cans of food and soda can’t be lifted without using a fork.
- Safety seals inside over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and other supplements have to be opened with a sharp knife.
- You have to remember to ask your pharmacist to use caps that aren’t child-proof for your prescriptions. (“Child-resistant” prescription vials are also “adult-resistant.”)
- Twist-off jar lids are so tightly sealed that they can’t be twisted off easily, even after you pound them with a knife handle.
OK. I’ll admit it. These don’t happen all of the time. But opening everyday packages, jars and cans can be quite painful when you have Arthritis. Sometimes, it’s even difficult to hold on to them because Arthritis also weakens the muscles in your hands.
The good news is that we have a variety of inexpensive solutions. Here are just a few examples:
The Wall Mount Zim Jar Opener opens or closes all types of screw-on lids, from jar lids to bottle caps. Simply slip the jar top or bottle top into the steel jaws until it wedges and turn the jar. It’s designed to be mounted on a wall at a level that’s convenient for you to reach (the screws are included).
The All-Out Universal Opener makes opening everyday food packages and containers much easier. This multipurpose opening aid gives you the added leverage you need to open most food boxes, bottles and cans. A blunt V-shaped prong opens glue-sealed box tops, a hook on the back lifts pull-tabs on cans and pokes through cellophane covered food trays, a twist cap bottle opener opens bottle caps, and a slotted opener opens crimped caps.
The patented handle on the Good Grips Jar Opener provides a flexible, non-slip grip for easily opening twist-off lids from ½ to nearly 4 inches in diameter. The metal grip strip has sharp, stainless steel teeth that grip the jar lid firmly as you open jars and bottles. The pressure-absorbing, soft-grip handle is ergonomically designed to fit the palm of your hand comfortably, providing leverage for twisting jar and bottle lids open with less pressure on your hands, and is dishwasher-safe.
The Juvo E-Z Open Grip Mitt improves your grip for opening jar lids that just won’t budge. This soft gripping mitt is made of padded silicone material to protect your hands. It’s especially useful for people with weak grip because it allows for maximum dexterity and hand movement to open household liquid containers, stubborn jars, medicine containers and bottle tops. And, it’s dishwasher safe.
These and many more can be found in our Bottle and Jar Openers section.